Heating and Cooling tips
Household Heating Systems: Although several different types of fuels are available to heat our homes, nearly half of us use natural gas. | Source: Buildings Energy Data Book 2011, 2.1.1 Residential Primary Energy Consumption, by Year and Fuel Type (Quadrillion Btu and Percent of Total).
Heating and cooling your home uses more energy and costs more money than any other system in your home — typically making up about 48% of your utility bill.
No matter what kind of heating and cooling system you have in your house, you can save money and increase your comfort by properly maintaining and upgrading your equipment. But remember, an energy-efficient furnace alone will not have as great an impact on your energy bills as using the whole-house approach. By combining proper equipment maintenance and upgrades with recommended insulation, air sealing, and thermostat settings, you can save about 30% on your energy bill while reducing environmental emissions.
HEATING AND COOLING TIPS
- Set your programmable thermostat as low as is comfortable in the winter and as high as is comfortable in the summer, and — depending on the season — raise or lower the setpoint when you’re sleeping or away from home.
- Clean or replace filters on furnaces and air conditioners once a month or as recommended.
- Clean warm-air registers, baseboard heaters, and radiators as needed; make sure they’re not blocked by furniture, carpeting, or drapes.
- Eliminate trapped air from hot-water radiators once or twice a season; if unsure about how to perform this task, contact a professional.
- Place heat-resistant radiator reflectors between exterior walls and the radiators.
- Turn off kitchen, bath, and other exhaust fans within 20 minutes after you are done cooking or bathing; when replacing exhaust fans, consider installing high-efficiency, low-noise models.
- During winter, keep the draperies and shades on your south-facing windows open during the day to allow the sunlight to enter your home and closed at night to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows.
- During summer, keep the window coverings closed during the day to block the sun’s heat.
LONG-TERM SAVINGS TIPS
- Select energy-efficient products when you buy new heating and cooling equipment. Your contractor should be able to give you energy fact sheets for different types, models, and designs to help you compare energy usage.
- For furnaces, look for high Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) ratings. The national minimum is 78% AFUE, but there are ENERGY STAR® models on the market that exceed 90% AFUE. For air conditioners, look for a high Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER). The current minimum is 13 SEER for central air conditioners. ENERGY STAR models are 14.5 SEER or more.
the Surrounding Areas
Maintenance Plan! It’s the NICEST way to gain comfort.
Customers With a NICE Experience
Customers With a NICE Experience
“Service was outstanding from the time of arrival which you could track arrival time live on a website link they send you so you know when they will arrive. Technical knowledge was very high, quick and efficient Kyle and his partner both handled the install of a Sensi Predict as if it was a walk in the park. I highly recommend Kyle from Nice Heating & Air for all HVAC issues and for new installs, him and his team are an amazing company and will think of them first if any issues arise in the future for sure....”
“Professional and polite. Excellent communication throughout the maintenance visit. Definitely recommend.”
“Rolando Medrano was very professional and followed the CDC protocol of 6 feet social distance and had a mask and put disposable shoe covers before entering the house. He made sure to address all of our issues and provided answers for all our questions. He came on time and called before he came to update on timing and his status! He was a great help!”
“Highly recommend Nice Home Services for your HVAC needs. Have been member of their annual maintenance plan for three years now and been extremely pleased with their approach to business. They are professional, knowledgeable, and relatable. The service specialists take their time to fully diagnose the issue and explain the situation in a way that is easy to understand. Never had an instance where they try to push product and instead look for ways to recommend how to save you money. Need anything done on your home's HVAC, call the folks at Nice Home Services and know you're making the right choice.”
“Love , Love the NICE Heating & Air company for their kind & trustworthy technicians, their unbeatable price & overall knowledge they’ve amazed me every time with their fabulous job on my house, I’ll recommend them without hesitations, try this company you won’t regret for sure.”
“Dionte and his helper (Josh) did a superb job with the installation. The result is both functional and as cosmetically pleasing as the ideal water heater installation can be. They were VERY careful moving the old one out and the new one in so as to assure no damage was initiated neither to the heater nor to our dwelling. He explained his intended design prior to execution and executed it flawlessly. This was followed by a comprehensive explanation of the functional options available through the control panel and Ipad app. Cleanup at conclusion of the install was appropriate and comprehensive. This team represented both Nice Heating and Rheem VERY positively!”
“I had the pleasure of meeting another NICE Heating and Air Service Technician today, Mr. Jeremy Castellon. Jeremy, thank you again for addressing my questions and concerns regarding my gas fireplace. I appreciate your patience and knowledgeability about gas fireplaces. Jeremy was very professional and competent.”
“The technician was very professional and took his time to explain the issue and how he will about to fix it. He also offered means to save by signing on their maintenance program. He was polite, careful to keep the carpet clean. I will recommend this company to friends and family.”
“Loves me some NICE Home Services! I’ve been part of their maintenance plan for almost 9 years now & they're great. Reliable, professional, & friendly; they take care of all my HVAC & gas fireplace needs m, including a spring & fall tuneup. Highly recommend!”
“I purchased my HVAC unit a year ago along with a Cozy Club maintenance plan. It's been running great and the customer service team is always quick to respond to questions. Today Rolando M. came by for the maintenance check and, as usual, he was neat, professional and maintained the COVID rules. He was also very nice, living up to the company name. I'm very happy with my experience with Nice.”
“I can't speak highly enough of this company. I requested an appointment, and it was scheduled for the next day. The technician was polite, honest, and a pure delight to work with. He didn't try to overcharge or tell me to replace something I didn't need to. He made service recommendations that were in line with industry standard prices so I could make an informed decision as he went about his service visit. Would recommend and will be using them again in the future. ”
“My technician arrived promptly at our appointed hour. He repaired a dirty and non-working gas fireplace. In addition, he found a small gas leak on our furnace line. Overall, exceptional service and quality work. I highly recommend their HVAC service.”
“Very impressive company! Nice responded to my call for a heating issue on very short notice. My tech, was right on time, extremely polite, and very hardworking. Customer service and satisfaction are clearly a priority.”
“They treat customers like a valuable asset, not like a number. Business the old-fashioned way, that will never go out of style.”
“Superb customer service. Before a service appointment, you receive a text message notification with photo of the tech that will be at your residence followed by a phone call. During a service appointment you'll updated and educated. If there is a concern, management will contact you promptly and follow up until issue resolved. Awesome and attentive team!!”