Furnace Tune-Up and Repair Services in Alexandria and Springfield
For 24-hour furnace repair, call Nice Home Services. We service the Alexandria and Springfield, VA areas.
When your furnace goes out, don’t delay before getting it repaired. A malfunctioning furnace can put your home and your family at risk. Call Nice Home Services for 24-hour furnace repair in the Alexandria and Springfield, VA areas.
Need your furnace replaced? Learn about our furnace installation services.
How to Properly Maintain Your Furnace
A furnace can be one of the most expensive appliances in your home. Because of this, you need it to work well and last a long time. The key to extending the longevity of your furnace is proper maintenance. Follow these tips to keep your furnace functioning properly:
- Schedule a yearly inspection before winter. This tune-up and routine maintenance call allows the furnace contractors to detect and repair any issues before the cold weather hits.
- Replace filters regularly. You should replace your furnace filters about every three months. A clean filter keeps dust, pet dander and other particles from building up in your furnace.
- Install a carbon monoxide monitor. A carbon monoxide monitor is important to the safety of you and your family. Your monitor should be inspected regularly to ensure it is working properly. Wipe away any dust that collects on it and change the batteries regularly to keep it functioning.
- Examine your furnace ducts. Furnace ducts must be examined to make sure they are sealed properly and aren’t leaking hot air.
- Check the blower. The blower should be inspected to make sure there are no obstructions. It might also have to be lubricated.
- Inspect inside the furnace chamber. The furnace chamber should be examined to look for any defects, including rust, holes and separated seams.
- Clean the burners. The burners should be cleaned with fresh water to remove any dust and debris.
- Clean the sensor and pilot. The sensor and pilot should be cleaned with a wire brush and an emery cloth.
- Inspect the “high limit”. The “high limit” on the furnace should be checked to prevent overheating. The gas meter should also be clocked to check the rate of fuel usage.
- Clean around the furnace. Keep the area around the furnace clean and unobstructed for safety and accessibility.
Signs Your Furnace Needs Repair
Like all appliances in your home, occasionally your furnace will malfunction and need repairs. The goal is to catch the issue before it causes your furnace to breakdown in the middle of winter. Some signs that your unit needs to be serviced by a furnace contractor include:
- Short cycling: If your furnace runs for less than three minutes at a time before it shuts off, it could indicate a malfunctioning heat exchanger. It could also signal that your thermostat needs to be recalibrated.
- Irregular flames: The burners on your furnace should have relatively even rows of flames. If the flames are uneven or if they lean toward the back of the furnace, it could indicate your burners are dirty or the heat exchanger is cracked. Cracked heat exchangers should be inspected immediately, as this can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Unusual sounds: Unusual sounds coming from your furnace, such as rumbling, popping or whistling, can signal a problem with your furnace.
Cracked heat exchanger: If you or anyone in your household has frequent headaches or flu-like symptoms, the heat exchanger on your furnace may be cracked and you may have a carbon monoxide leak. You should evacuate the house immediately.
Is your heat pump malfunctioning? Get more information about our heat pump repair and replacement services.
How to Make Your Furnace More Energy-Efficient
Everyone wants to lower their energy bills in the winter months. One way to do this is to make your furnace more energy-efficient. You can accomplish this by:
- Using a programmable thermostat to control the temperature in your home.
- Making sure your air ducts are in good working condition.
- Making sure that your home is well insulated.
- Scheduling regular maintenance visits with a furnace contractor.
- Regularly changing the furnace filters.
- Letting sunlight into your home to add heat.
Need your furnace repaired ASAP? Call Nice Home Services at 703-634-5404 for 24-hour furnace repair services in the Alexandria and Springfield, VA areas.